Bellaghy is located on the A54 Portglenone to Magherafelt Road, 8 km north-east of Magherafelt town and 2.5 km west of Lough Beg. It is set in a landscape of low rolling hills, and wooded parkland at nearby Ballyscullion House.
The village was founded in 1619 by the ‘Vintners Company’. The Company Bawn, now a Historic Monument in State Care, stands at the south-west entrance to the village at the head of Castle Street. It includes significant remains of the original complex and a later house with permanent Seamus Heaney exhibits.
The original village was laid out alongCastle Street and Mullaghboy Road, andlater Main Street and William Street were created. Modern development has resulted in expansion of the village to the northwest and north-east, mainly in the form of housing estates.
Bellaghy functions as a local service centre with a good range of facilities including several places of worship, shops, cafes, library, public houses, health centre, GAA Ground and two schools. The village has a small industrial base.